Did you know that in the year 2018, a controversy arose where, on 21st February 2018, it was reported that the screenshots of the question paper of the 2017 SSC Tier 2 exam appeared on social media before the exam began? This led to massive protests. The authorities cancelled the exam and the Central Bureau of Investigation conducted an investigation, releasing a first information report that named several entities including employees at Sify Technologies that allegedly participated in the leak. The Tier 3 exam for that year was also postponed. The 2018 final results were announced in early 2021 after a delay of almost 3 years.
Despite such controversies, it is evident that India- a vibrant nation with a youthful population, has a strong inclination among its youth towards securing government jobs. If you are among those who are aspiring for stable government jobs with attractive perks, consider exploring the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Tier-1 Exam! This examination could be your gateway to securing exciting positions within various ministries, departments, and organisations across the country.
However, the sheer number of applicants may seem overwhelming, resembling a challenging uphill journey. But fret not, aspiring bureaucrat, as this guide aims to simplify the CGL Tier01 exam, breaking it down for you like slicing through butter.
What is the SSC CGL Tier-1 Exam all About?
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is a popular choice for government exams in India. This exam is usually conducted to fill non-technical Group B & C positions in various government entities. This exam is a valuable opportunity for those who are seeking roles in well-regarded government offices. A government job will provide you with a stable career and it comes with substantial responsibilities.
The SSC CGL exam covers recruitment for many positions in the Government of India. These include:
- Research Assistant
- Tax Assistant in CBDT and CBEC
- Assistants in Ministries and Departments
- Accountant/Junior Accountant
- Compiler in Registrar General of India
- Inspector of Central Excise & Customs
- Divisional Accountant
- Preventive Officers in Customs
- Examiners in Customs
- Inspectors of Income Tax
- Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier 1 (The First Stage Exam)
In the SSC CGL Tier 1 exam, you will attempt an online test with 100 questions worth a total of 200 marks. You will have 1 hour to complete the exam. You do not need to worry about the time limit for a particular section, as there is no such time limit. It is important to remember that the Tier 1 exam will act like a qualifying round.
Now, the exam is divided into 4 sections: General Intelligence & Reasoning, where you will attempt 25 questions worth 50 marks; General Awareness, also with 25 questions worth 50 marks; Quantitative Aptitude, again with 25 questions worth 50 marks; and finally, English Comprehension, with 25 questions worth 50 marks. This exam will be qualifying in nature and marks will not be counted in final selection. It is important to note here that you will lose half a mark for each wrong answer.
Exam Pattern & Mode of Exam
It is important for every candidate to look at the SSC CGL Syllabus and Exam Pattern for 2024. Here is a simple breakdown of the exam pattern and modes.
Tier I: This is a computer-based test that consists of multiple-choice questions.
SSC CGL Tier-1 Syllabus 2024
SSC CGL Tier 1 syllabus covers various topics including:
|India and its Neighbouring Countries
|Books and Authors
|People in News
|Regular Right Pyramid with Triangular or Square Base
|Triangle and its Various Kinds of Centers
|Heights and Distances
|Degree and Radian Measures
|Ratio & Proportion
|Right Circular Cylinder
|Mixture and Alligation
|Right Circular Cone
|Circle and its Chords
|Graphs of Linear Equations
|Profit & Loss
|Common Tangents to Two or More Circles
|Bar Diagram & Pie Chart
|Congruence and Similarity of Triangles
|Angles Subtended by Chords of a Circle
|Time and Distance
|Basic Algebraic Identities of School Algebra & Elementary Surds
|Time & Work
|Time and Distance
|Idioms and Phrases
|Synonyms and Antonyms
|Fill in the Blanks
|General Intelligence and Reasoning:
|Coding & Decoding
|Date & City Matching
SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria 2024
Firstly, you must be an Indian National. Additionally, there are age requirements: you must be between the age group of 18 to 32 years. You should have a graduation degree which is necessary in terms of educational qualifications. Unlike some exams, there is no restriction on the number of attempts you can make. Certain positions, such as Inspector and Sub-Inspector, may require meeting specific physical standards. It is important for you to carefully review and ensure you are meeting these criteria before proceeding with your applications.
SSC CGL Important Dates
|SSC CGL 2024
|SSC CGL Full Form
|Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level
|Staff Selection Commission
|Mode of Application
|SSC CGL Apply Online 2024
|Applications are open from 11th June to 10th July 2024
|Must be a citizen of India and hold a graduation degree
|After the Tier 1 Exam, a candidate has to appear for Tier 2 and Tier 3 Exams followed by a Personal Interview
How to Apply Online
Stage 1: Online Registration Process
- You can start by visiting the Staff Selection Commission website. This is where you will initiate your registration process.
- Now look for the option “New User” or “Register Now” on the website. You have to click on it to start your registration.
- You will have to fill in all the required details like your full name, father’s name, Aadhaar Number, date of birth, contact information, etc.
- Once you are done with the 3rd step, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number and email address. You have to enter the OTP received to confirm your registration.
- You will receive the credentials on your email address and SMS. You can log in using these credentials.
- After logging in, You will have to go through the remaining steps to complete your registration. You have to ensure that you have double-checked all the information.
Stage 2: Upload Photo & Signature
- You will have to upload your passport-size photograph and signature.
- You have to upload the Photo in mentioned size & format: 20 – 50 KB, 3.5 cm X 4.5 cm, .jpg/.jpeg/.png
- You have to upload the signature in mentioned size & format: 10 – 20 KB, 4 cm X 3 cm, .jpg/.jpeg/.png
Stage 3: Fill the Application Form 2024
- You will have to fill in all the required details like name, father’s name, etc.
- You can choose 3 desired centres.
- You will have to choose the job position that you are applying for.
- You need to read and agree to the declaration, and then enter the captcha.
Stage 4: Fee Payment
- Pay the fee: INR 100 for General/OBC. There is no fee for the Female, SC, ST, PwD, and Ex-Servicemen categories.
- You can pay offline. You can generate an offline challan from the SSC site or pay in cash at any SBI branch.
- You can also pay the fee online using a credit card, debit card, or UPI.
- After submitting the form, you will be redirected to the payment page.
How can I ace the CGL Tier-1?
You can start studying early with a proper schedule. You can practise with test series to feel more confident. You have to manage your time carefully during the exam. Most importantly, stay calm and do not worry too much about hard questions.
The CGL Tier-1 is only the first step. There are two more tiers ahead. If you attempt them with proper preparation and a positive mindset, you can be successful in getting your dream government job.
So, pick up your textbooks and prepare yourself to solve the CGL puzzle.
Aayushi is an avid reader, writer and travel enthusiast. She has been working as a Content Creator for 8 years and has been employed in the Education industry for the last two years. She has worked in multiple niches. She is always looking for opportunities to learn new things and grow; and wants to contribute maximum to the cause of education, upholding the Sustainable Development Goal 4.