What is the National Institute of Design Entrance Exam?
Commonly referred to as NID DAT, the NID Design Aptitude Test is a two-tiered design entrance exam comprising preliminary and mains exams. Annually, the entrance exam is administered nationwide to select candidates for admission to NID campuses’ B.Des. and M.Des. programmes. The NID DAT evaluates candidates’ knowledge, skills, and behavioural talents. The results of candidates’ NID DATs determine their admittance to NID in full.
Purpose of the National Institute of Design Entrance Exam
The National Institute of Design administers the NID Design Aptitude Test (DAT).
This is a national entrance exam, for candidates who want admission in undergraduate and graduate design programmes. NID Ahmedabad, NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NID Madhya Pradesh, and NID Assam all offer the Bachelor of Design (B.Des. – 4 Years) programme.
NID aims to provide the right candidate for admission in undergraduate design courses.
Highlights & Exam Pattern of the National Institute of Design Entrance Exam
The NID exam is widely popular for its way of conducting smooth and hassle-free exams. Here are some highlights of the NID entrance test:
|Name of the Exam
|The National Institute of Design Aptitude Test
|The National Institute of Design
|Undergraduate and Graduate
|Once a year
|Mode of Exam
|Types of Questions
|– Objective Type
– Subjective Type
|In the Mains exam, there will be a
– Studio Test and
– Personal Interview
|No negative marking
|Part I- 27 Questions
Part II- 5 Questions
|Part I- 40 Marks
Part II- 75 Marks
|Medium of Exam
NID Exam requires common eligibility as most of the undergraduate programmes. But there are few specific requirements for different courses. You can check the official website to learn more about the coursework details and their eligibility. Here are the eligibility criteria:
- B.Des. Programme:
Applicants must have completed 12th grade in any stream (Science, Humanities, or Commerce) from an approved board such as the CBSE, IB, ICSE, or a similar one. Applicants who plan to sit for the Class 12 examinations in 2024 are also welcome to apply. It is to be noted that only those candidates who are born on or after July 1, 2003 (July 1, 2000 for SC/ST & July 1, 1998 for PwD) can apply.
- M.Des. Programme:
Must hold a bachelor’s degree of minimum four years of duration from an accredited college or university. It is to be noted that only those candidates who are born on or after July 1, 1992 (July 1, 1989 for SC/ST & July 1, 1987 for PwD) can apply.
- B.Des. Programme:
National Institute of Design Entrance Exam Date 2024
|Registration Process Start Date
|08 September 2023
|Registration Process Ending Date
|01 December 2023
|Date for Editing Application Form
|05 December – 07 December 2023
|Mock Tests Release Date
|Admit Card Release Date
|NID DAT Prelims: 12 December 2023
|Declaration of NID DAT Prelims Results
|28 March 2024
|NID DAT Mains Exam Admit Card
|14 April 2024
|NID DAT Mains Exam/ NID 2024 Exam Date
|27 April 2024 and 28 April 2024
|Declaration of NID DAT Mains Results
|21 May 2024
|Window for Submission of Campus Preference
|21 May 2024 to 23 May 2024
|21 May 2024 to 22 May 2024
Registration Process & Fee
To register for the NID exam, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit the official website of NID and click on the “Register” button
- Fill in the requisite details and register yourself at the portal
- After this, log in using your user ID and password
- Fill out the detailed application form which consists of six sections, that is, personal details, academic details, work experience, programmes, test city, etc.
- While filling out the form, you will be required to upload the photograph, signature and category certificate in the prescribed format
- After this, you will have to pay the application fee and print the form
The application fee for the NID entrance exam is given below, please check out the latest application fee for NID 2024:
|General/ EWS/ NC-OBC
National Institute of Design Entrance Exam Admit Card
The admit card for the NID DAT Prelims has been released on the official website. The same can be downloaded from the official website of the NID.
National Institute of Design Entrance Exam Centres 2024
Check out the latest exam centres for the NID entrance exam 2024:
National Institute of Design Entrance Exam Syllabus 2024
|NID Entrance Syllabus
|Syllabus of NID Exam
|NID Aptitude Test Syllabus
|Design Outline for Beginners
|Inspiration & Design Development
|Mood, Theme & Colour Inter-relationship
|Elements & Principles Of Design
|Natural & Geometrical Form
|Innovation in Design
|Principles of Composition
|Understanding Light & Shade
|Colour Psychology & Optical Illusions
|Form & Function
|Colour, Pattern & Texture
|Creative thinking & writing
|Good Design vs Bad Design
|Use of Measurements, Scale & Proportions
|Foreshortening & Perspective
|Developing Themes & Colour Associations
|Inspiration & Creativity
|Ornaments & Motifs
|Usage of Colour in Compositions
|Expression & Emotion
|Exercises on imagination
|Imagination & Doodling
|Graphics & Pictograms
|Innovation & Creation
NID 2024: Section Wise Distribution of Question Paper
Preliminary exam marking schemes can change from year to year.
The preliminary marking scheme for the M. Des programme is tentative and can be found in the table below:
|Objective type questions
|1 to 27
|Subjective type questions
|28 to 32
Colleges that Accept the NID Exam Score
The NID entrance exam is for students who want to pursue B.Des. and M.Des. Here are top universities that accept NID exam scores:
- Pearl Academy
- The National Institute of Design
- IILM Gurgaon
- Pearl Academy
- World University of Design (WUD)
- Shiv Nadar University
- Srishti Manipal – Art, Design & Tech Institute
- Indian Institute of Art and Design
- Arch College of Design and Business
- MIT WPU
- KL University Guntur
NID 2024: Expected Exam Cut-off
Minimum Qualification Marks for NID NID DAT Cut Off B.Des. 2023
The General category’s NID DAT cutoff marks were 50 last year. The NID DAT cutoff 2024, which includes the minimal score needed to pass the exam, will be announced by the National Institute of Design at admissions.nid.edu along with the results. NID DAT 2024 will have distinct deadlines for each category. The campus-specific NID DAT 2024 cutoff will also be made public by the authorities. Aspirants can check this page for the NID cutoff from prior years in the meantime. In August 2024, using the NID DAT BDes Cutoff, the authority will make public the rank and score of the final candidate admitted for a B.Des. at NID Admissions 2024–25. Depending on the discipline and candidate category, the final candidate admitted will have a different rank and score. Different disciplines and candidate categories share the NID slots.
Minimum Qualification Marks for NID NID DAT Cut Off B.Des. 2023:
|NID DAT Cutoff Marks
|OBC – NCL
Minimum Qualifying Marks (M.Des.) for the NID DAT Cutoff in 2024
In July 2024, the authorities will make public the rank and score of the most recent candidate admitted for the M.Des. Admissions 2024–25. This will assist candidates in understanding the minimal score and rank needed to be admitted to the NID campuses’ M.Des. programmes. Following the preliminary and mains tests, the NID DAT 2024 final merit list will determine the rank and score of the final candidate admitted. Depending on the discipline and candidate category, the final candidate admitted will have a different rank and score.
NID DAT Cutoff M.Des. – Campus Wise
|OBC – NCL
|NID Andhra Pradesh
|NID Madhya Pradesh
NID Important Exam Guidelines
- Candidates must submit at least one form of identification with their complete date of birth for verification in addition to their NID DAT 2024 admission card.
- Without a hall pass, no student will be able to take the NID DAT 2024 exam.
- The DAT Mains for B.Des. will take place on April 27 and 28, and for M.Des., between March 3 and April 6, by the NID exam date of 2024.
- The NID admit card 2024 is made up of four pages, and applicants must print a clear copy of each page of the admissions ticket.
- Candidates can obtain part A and part B of the NID DAT admission card 2024 authenticated by the principal of their current school or college or a Gazetted officer if they lack a valid form of identification.
- The examination centre’s gates will close thirty minutes before the start of the test, at which point no candidate will be permitted to enter.
- All electronic gadgets are strictly prohibited inside the examination centre. Do not carry them with you.
- No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall before the completion of the examination.
- Do not use the keyboard during the test as it will result in the locking of the computer system.
- No printed or other textual material is allowed inside the examination hall.
- Candidates who recently tested positive for COVID-19 and are under mandatory quarantine per government directives will not be permitted to take the exam or visit the exam centre.
NID Preparation Tips
- The first step in getting ready for NID Entrance is to familiarise yourself with the exam format by going over the syllabus and past years’ question papers.
- Make a schedule for yourself after you have a copy of the syllabus. Each segment should be divided into manageable goals, each with a deadline for completion.
- Make it a habit to practise mock exams from the start. You get better the more you practise.
- During the exam, do not panic. Ignore the questions you find hard to understand and return to them at a later time. This will help you avoid wasting time answering fictitious inquiries.
- Never disregard your well-being. Exercise and partake in other physical pursuits.
There are multiple websites that provide mock tests. You can check out these websites for a mock test:
Q. How many sections are there in the NID entrance exam?
There are 2 sections in the NID exam. Section 1 has 27 Questions and Section 2- 5 Questions Total – 32 Questions. Both are important and mandatory to pass the entrance exam.
Q2. How to register for the NID exam?
You can register on the official website of NID. The steps for registration are given above in the article.
Q3. Who can give the NID exam?
Applicants are eligible for NID if, in the academic year 2023, they finished their 10 + 2 (Higher Secondary) from an AISSCE, IB, ICSE, or other recognised board.
Kamaldeep Singh is an accomplished digital marketing specialist, and has been associated with the education industry since 2022. With a flair for knowledge, he finds joy in learning and sharing insights on education, technology, digital marketing, and self-care through his writing. He is passionate about cars, tech-gadgets, and loves long drives.