The Common Admission Test (CAT Exam) is a computer-based MBA examination conducted for admission to the IIMs and other top B-Schools in India. Every year, over 2.3 lakh students sit for the CAT exam in order to gain admission to IIMs. The CAT exam is among the country’s most popular MBA entrance exams.
The Common Admission Test, abbreviated as CAT, is a computer-based entrance exam for MBA/PGDM admissions at 20 IIMs and 1000+ Business Schools in India. Every year, one of the 20 IIMs administers the CAT exam. The CAT 2022 is anticipated to be held this year at IIM Bangalore.
Why gives CAT?
The CAT exam is a management entrance exam held in India for admission to 20 IIMs and 1000+ B-schools such as the Faculty of Management Studies at the University of Delhi, MDI Gurgaon – Management Development Institute, FSM Delhi – FORE School of Management, MNNIT Allahabad, NITIE Mumbai, K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai, and others.
To get into one of India’s top management schools you need a CAT percentile of 95 to 99+. The following are some of the best MBA colleges in India that accept CAT results, as well as their CAT cutoff.
- Management Development Institute (MDI) Gurgaon – 95+ Percentile
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) Mumbai – 95+ Percentile
- SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR) Mumbai – 85+ Percentile
- Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras – 95+ Percentile
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal – 85+ Percentile
- DMS, IIT Delhi – 98+ Percentile
- Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA) Chennai – 90+ Percentile
- Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar (XIMB) – 90+ Percentile
- Institute of Management Technology (IMT) Ghaziabad – 90+ Percentile
CAT Exam Pattern
Since 2015, the CAT exam has followed a consistent pattern, with the exception of the last two years, which may be repeated for CAT 2022 in terms of time duration, number of questions, and sections, as follows:
- CAT 2022 is a two-hour computer-based exam, although it is conducted at an offline exam center.
- There will be at least 18 questions with no negative marking out of a total of 66. The CAT 2022 exam consists of MCQ and Non-MCQ questions, with Non-MCQs carrying no negative marking.
- IIMs demand a minimum qualifying score of 70 to 90 percentile in CAT 2022 in each of the three sections to select candidates for the final admission stage.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, which has caused disruptions in assessments across the country, the CAT convening IIM has eliminated the criterion of a minimum of 50 or 45 percent of marks in graduation for appearing in the CAT 2021 exam. This exception applies exclusively to students taking the CAT 2021 exam and who have finished their bachelor’s degree in 2020 or 2021.A final-year graduate student may also participate in IIM’s CAT 2022.
CAT MBA Exam Date and Fee
The tentative date for CAT 2022 is November 27th,2022. The registration fee for the general category is INR 2,300/-
Another Important Exam: CMAT Exam 2022: Important Dates and Test Pattern