60% of all new managers fail within the first 24 months, states a report by CEB Global. The major reason behind this staggering number of failures is the fact that most leaders are not given appropriate training for ensuring a smooth transition to the new role. Thus, most leaders find it difficult to cope and fail.
According to the Center for Creative Leadership, a Manager requires four qualities in order to lead effectively. These include self-awareness, communication, influence and agility. Another article published in Harvard Business Review states that people who are self-aware are more confident and thus make sounder decisions and build stronger relationships.
Thus, it will not be wrong to conclude that in order to become a good leader, a person must be self-aware and must get adequate training on how to manage a team. Today, there are many courses and certifications available in the market that can channelise your growth into a leader and help you ensure a smooth transition into leadership roles.
In this article, we are going to shortlist some of the top leadership courses and certifications that you can pursue in 2024.
1. Leadership and Change Management, IIM Ahmedabad
The best management institute in India, IIM Ahmedabad organises various courses and certification programmes to provide development opportunities to young leaders and managers. The programme aims to help explore various leadership roles in the current changing scenario. It further helps individuals gain new knowledge about various emerging concepts and tools.
|Name of the Programme||Leadership and Change Management|
|Highlights||– The Task of Leadership
– Multiple Perspectives and Leadership
– Leadership in Complex Situations
– Leadership Styles
– Managing Talent
– Organisational Structure and Culture
– Managing Change
– Managing Innovation
– Taking Charge and Leading Strategy
– Leaders and their Emotional Maturity
|Pedagogy||– Case Studies
– Role Plays
2. Executive Leadership Programme, University of Oxford
Oxford University is one of the leading higher educational institutions in the world. It offers numerous programmes to help managers and business leaders become future-ready so that they can drive change to their organisations. One such programme is the executive Leadership Programme. The programme is designed to help leaders understand their role and purpose in the organisation.
|Name of the Programme||Executive Leadership Programme|
|Highlights||– Detailed insights on leadership purpose
– Opportunities to develop skills required to overcome modern workplace challenges
– Strategies for driving change
– Guidance from industry experts and Oxford Saïd faculty
– Access to the official Oxford Executive Education Alumni group on LinkedIn
|Pedagogy||– Online learning|
3. Accelerating Your Leadership Journey: The Leader As Coach, IIM Bangalore
Being one of the best B-Schools in the country, IIM Bangalore offers numerous leadership development programmes to provide an opportunity to aspiring leaders to develop necessary skills and deep understanding of the business world. Accelerating Your Leadership Journey: The Leader As Coach is one of the best leadership development programmes in India. The programme focuses on the changing paradigms of leadership in the current time and helps individuals become more self-aware.
|Name of the Programme||Accelerating Your Leadership Journey: The Leader As Coach|
|Highlights||– Receive Executive Education e-Newsletters
– Invitation to share articles to the EEP blog
– Participate in EEP webinars on various topics
– Invitation to curated events and programmes by the EEP office
– Practice Session
– Experiential Learning
4. Leadership in an Exponentially Changing World, MIT
The MIT Sloan School of Management offers an insightful 6-week programme on Leadership. The programme comes with an extensive curriculum which broadens the perspectives and expertise of individuals so that they can become experienced leaders. During the programme, you will learn how to communicate your vision, how to implement structures to mobilise individuals and how to lead with integrity.
|Name of the Programme||Leadership in an Exponentially Changing World|
|Highlights||– Self-paced online format
– Success Adviser
– Develop leadership capabilities
– 4-CAPS+ Leadership Framework
|Pedagogy||– Interactive videos
– Practice quizzes
– Discussion forums
5. MBA in Strategy and Leadership, O.P. Jindal Global University
Designed to groom the next generation of Managers, the MBA in Strategy and Leadership at O.P. Jindal Global University follows an extensive curriculum. Students get to work on various projects which helps them develop a diverse range of management skills. It also brings opportunities for developing problem-solving skills and learning to use various analytical tools.
|Name of the Programme||MBA in Strategy and Leadership|
|Highlights||– Personalised industry session
– Career mentorship session
– Easy and flexible EMI options available
– Peer-to-peer networking
– Learning via capstone projects
– Placement support
– Interview guidance
|Pedagogy||– Live Sessions
– Recorded Content
– Experiential Learning Course / Action Learning Project
6. Leadership and Ethics: Moral Leadership in Personal Practice, Harvard University
The most prestigious university in the world, Harvard University offers a course in Leadership and Ethics: Moral Leadership in Personal Practice. The course prepares individuals to navigate through the complexities of negotiations. It also helps them understand the difference between leadership and authority.
|Name of the Programme||Leadership and Ethics: Moral Leadership in Personal Practice|
|Highlights||– Self-paced learning
– Opportunities for developing fundamental skills for moral leadership
– Grooming individuals to instil lasting change in communities
|Pedagogy||– Online Learning|
7. MBA in Project Leadership Management, Directorate of Distance Education, Suresh Gyan Vihar University
The MBA in Project Leadership Management at SGVU equips students with important leadership skills such as decision-making, problem-solving, etc. Furthermore, it provides students a chance to gain hands-on experience of leadership practices by means of real-time industry projects. Its innovative pedagogy and comprehensive study material help students understand the requirements of the current industry.
|Name of the Programme||MBA in Project Leadership Management|
|Highlights||– App-based learning facilitating interactive classes
– Live lectures
– Live sessions with industry experts
– Government-approved degree
– Real-time industry projects
– Convenient and flexible learning schedule
– Availability of E-books, reference videos and Ask Pro facility to enhance intellectual skills
– Placement support
|Pedagogy||– Live Lectures
– Industry Projects
Besides the above-mentioned programmes, there are many other certifications and courses available at top universities all across the world. You can explore these courses and find the one that caters to your needs. Many institutes like IIMs also offer the option to customise your programme according to your unique requirements. This ensures that you can focus on the areas where you are lacking.
Kamaldeep Singh is an accomplished digital marketing specialist, and has been associated with the education industry since 2022. With a flair for knowledge, he finds joy in learning and sharing insights on education, technology, digital marketing, and self-care through his writing. He is passionate about cars, tech-gadgets, and loves long drives.