What is the CMAT 2024 Exam?
CMAT stands for the Common Management Admission Test is a national-level entrance test for admission to management programmes in India. Till 2018, this test was conducted by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). From 2019 onwards, the National Testing Agency (NTA) conducts the CMAT exam.
It is a computer-based online test which has a duration of three hours. It consists of various segments such as general awareness, quantitative techniques, language comprehension, logical reasoning and innovation & entrepreneurship. This exam is accepted by all AICTE-approved institutions/Universities.
Purpose & Highlights of the CMAT 2024 Exam
Through the CMAT exam, all AICTE-approved institutions select suitable candidates for admission to their MBA, PGDM, and other management courses. The purpose of this exam is to simplify and narrow down the admission process and ensure a transparent selection process for all candidates.
This test is conducted in over 140 cities across the country, and more than 1,000 AICTE institutions accept CMAT scores. In addition to this, CMAT is considered much simpler than examinations like CAT, XAT, and others.
CMAT 2024 Exam Highlights
|Exam Name||Common Management Admission Test (CMAT)|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Number of MBA Colleges Under the Exam||1000+|
|Exam Date||2nd week of April 2024 (tentatively)|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Release of Application||13th February, 2024 (tentatively)|
|Last date for application||13th March, 2024 (tentatively)|
|Application Correction Window||14th – 16th March 2024|
|Exam Mode||Online computer-based test|
|Total Questions in the CMAT Entrance Exam||100|
|Sectional Division of Questions||20 questions in each section|
|Exam Details: Section-Wise||– Quantitative Technique
– Logical Reasoning
– Language Comprehension
– General Awareness
– Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
|Medium of Question Paper||English|
|Negative Marking||-1 for each wrong answer|
Eligibility Criteria: CMAT Exam 2024
Before beginning the registration process, be sure to learn about the eligibility criteria and the documents required. As per the NTA guidelines, CMAT 2024 eligibility criteria are as follows:
- A candidate must be a graduate in any field from a recognised university/ board with a minimum of 50% marks (45% for SC/ST/PwD).
- Final year graduation students are also eligible for the exam.
- There is no upper age limit to apply for the CMAT exam, but the minimum age to appear for the exam is 21 years.
- To apply for executive programmes, an applicant must have a minimum of 5 years of relevant managerial or supervisory experience.
- The applicant must be an Indian citizen only.
Registration Process & Fee
All the interested applicants who are eligible must follow the below-mentioned steps to register:
- In order to apply, a candidate must first visit the official website of CMAT. On the website, candidates must click on the ‘CMAT 2024 Registration’.
- Upon registration, the candidates will be given login credentials. Using the registered IDs, login to your account and then click on ‘I Agree’ option.
- The candidate must then fill out the details, including name, parentage, DOB, gender, email ID and phone no.
- After this, the candidate must proceed to the payment gateway and pay the required fees.
- After verification of all information, the candidate must keep a copy of the form for further use.
CMAT 2024 Application Fee
|For the general and OBC category candidates||INR 2,000 /-|
|For female and reserved category candidates such as the ST/SC/PwD||INR 1,000 /-|
Please note the application fee has to be paid in online mode via credit/debit card/net banking. He/she can also use the E-Challan method or through SBI MOPS.
CMAT 2024 Admit Card
The admit card for CMAT will be released by the National Testing Agency (NTA) on its official website. Tentatively, the admit card can be downloaded two weeks before the exam date. It is a crucial document containing important guidelines for the exam day, including the time and place for the exam.
CMAT 2024 Exam Syllabus
There is no fixed syllabus for management exams; there are certain topics commonly asked in all management entrance exams. The syllabus is broadly divided into 4 categories, including General Awareness, Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, and Language Comprehension.
|Indian Constitution||Current Affairs of National and International Importance|
|Trade Awareness||Science in Everyday Life|
|Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation|
|Simple Interest and Compound Interest||Pipes and Cisterns|
|Allegation and Mixtures||Algebra|
|Work and Time||Pie Chart|
|Fraction and Decimals||Bar Chart|
|Analytical Reasoning||Coding and Decoding|
|Blood Relationship Tests||Symbol-Based Problems|
|Matrix Arrangements||Ranking Tests|
|Direction and Distance Tests||Linear Arrangements|
|Reading Comprehension||Sentence Correction|
|Paragraph Completion||Sentence Improvement|
|Synonyms and Antonyms||English Usage Errors|
|Jumbled Para||English grammar|
|Innovation and Entrepreneurship|
|Budget & Economic Survey||Project Management: Feasibility Studies, Cost-Benefit Analysis, Venture Capital Investment, Creativity & Stimulation|
|New Investments & Schemes||Banking Regulation & Reforms Entrepreneurial Development|
|Business & Corporate Affairs||Innovation|
|Startups Ecosystem||Adoption of Life Cycle|
|Policies Related to Entrepreneurship and Business Promotion|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Number of Questions Per Section||20|
|Marks Per Question||4|
|Negative Marking||-1 mark per wrong answer|
|Difficulty Level||Moderate to high|
|Medium of CMAT||English|
Subject/ Section Wise Distribution of Question Paper
|Subject Name||Total Questions||Total Marks|
|Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation||20||80|
|Innovation & Entrepreneurship (optional)||20||80|
Counselling is the last step of the examination, which is conducted after all the rounds are completed. Based on the candidate’s performance in the exam, students are allotted colleges. A candidate has to apply separately to the participating institutions for their CMAT score. Moving further, the institutions will release their cut-off marks which a candidate must meet to qualify. Once the candidate is qualified, he/she has to follow the selection process of the chosen institution. Thereafter, the institution conducts a group discussion, personal interview and written test round (this varies as per institution).
Documents Required for Counselling
- 10th and 12th mark sheet
- CMAT scorecard
- Admit card
- Graduation mark sheet and certificate
- Valid ID proof
- Date of Birth certificate
- Permanent address proof
- Reservation certificate
- Payment receipt for counselling
- Passport size colour photos
- Counselling call letter
Colleges that Accept CMAT Score
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai
- Christ University, Bangalore
- BIMTECH, Greater Noida
- Institute of Management Technology, Hyderabad
- Indus Business Academy, Bangalore
CMAT 2024 Expected Cut Off
The expected cut-off for CMAT exam 2024 is mentioned below:
|CMAT 2024 Percentile||CMAT 2024 Score|
|100||345 – 360|
|90-99.99||300 – 344|
|80-89||250 – 299|
|71-79||200 – 249|
|61-70||150 – 100|
|51-60||120 – 140|
|50 and below||Below 120|
There are some do’s and don’ts that a candidate must be aware of before entering the examination hall. Here, we discussed important guidelines for your exam day.
- Reach the examination centre according to the reporting time mentioned on your admit card. No late entries are allowed at the centre.
- You must carry your admit card and valid ID proof (original) on the exam day.
- In case of a PwD category candidate, you must carry the PwD certificate.
- During the exam, divide your time strategically so that you don’t miss any questions and have some spare minutes to review unattempted questions.
- Before the exam day, take a sound sleep and relax your mind and body.
CMAT 2024 Preparation Tips
- Practise previous years’ questions regularly to assess the difficulty level and test your speed.
- Start attempting mock tests three months before the exam.
- Make a study plan, allocate more time to the area where you lack and follow the schedule religiously.
- Keep a close tab on the daily current affairs.
- Don’t overburden yourself with continuous studying. Take frequent breaks to refresh your mind.
- Making handwritten notes will help you retain most of the content and make it easy to revise.
- Avoid attempting questions that are very time-consuming.
- Do not waste time on studying irrelevant topics; stick to the syllabus only
Previous Year Question Papers
Q1. How many times can I attempt CMAT?
For the CMAT exam, you have unlimited attempts.
Q2. What is a good score on the CMAT?
As per previous year cut-off and records, it is better to score at least 300-320 in the CMAT exam.
Q3. Is there a dress code for the CMAT exam?
There is no prescribed dress code for the CMAT exam. You can wear any formal or casual dress, whichever you are comfortable with.
Q4. Can I do MBA without CMAT?
Yes, you can pursue an MBA without appearing for the CMAT exam. You can go for some other aptitude test such as CAT, XAT, GMAT or the entrance examination conducted by the university.
Q5. Does CMAT have negative marks?
Yes, -1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer, which is 25% of the total marks allotted to the question.
Q6. Who can apply for the CMAT Exam?
Any graduate who has attained 50% marks (45% for reserved categories) in bachelor’s and has reached the age of 21 years can apply for the exam. Final year students are also eligible to apply.
Q7. What are the sections in the CMAT Exam?
There are 5 sections in the CMAT exam. They are:
- General Awareness
- Quantitative Techniques
- Language Comprehension
- Logical Reasoning
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Q8. Can I use a calculator in the CMAT Exam?
Calculators or any electronic devices are allowed in the CMAT exam.
Kamaldeep Singh is an accomplished digital marketing specialist, and has been associated with the education industry since 2022. With a flair for knowledge, he finds joy in learning and sharing insights on education, technology, digital marketing, and self-care through his writing. He is passionate about cars, tech-gadgets, and loves long drives.