Master of Business Administration (MBA) is one specialized professional course that trains students in the art of business organization and management. Over the years more and more professionals are pursuing MBA as the job opportunities for MBA graduates remain fairly high. But, pursuing a full-time MBA is not a feasible option for all as working professionals would have to leave their present job to do so which is why a distance MBA course is a better option. One of the major advantages of distance MBA is its affordable fee structure, industry-relevant curriculum, easy accessibility, digital education, flexible schedule, and effective time management. Moreover, during the Covid-19 pandemic when all classes are going on online even in full-time MBA courses then a distance MBA program is an equally good option for working professionals and MBA aspirants.
Institutions are eligible to offer distance learning programs at the undergraduate, masters, diploma or certification level as open and distance learning programs if it is duly approved by the statutory authority. Such online Distance learning programs require a minimum National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) score of 3.26 on the 4-point scale. Many public and private colleges offer distance MBA programs but there are only a few that offer good value for your time and effort. So, while deciding on distance MBA candidates should properly research the institution and the program. Here is a list of few universities that offer the best distance learning MBA courses in India.
1. NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education
NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education, the distance and online learning platform of SVKM’s NMIMS Deemed-to-be University, is a leader in professional and continuing education. It is one of India’s largest autonomous top B schools with a NIRF Ranking of 24th in 2020.
- NMIMS Distance MBA programs are approved and recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the Distance Education Bureau (UGC-DEB) of India
- The university has achieved the NAAC Accreditation ‘A+’ Grade with a CGPA of 3.59
- It also provides first-its-kind career services in online education built for students and alumni of MBA and diploma programs to prepare them for a lifetime of career possibilities. The institute has tie-up with 300+ corporates to provide students an interview opportunity along with student support and career assistance.
- Students have access to recorded lectures and the option to attend live-interactive classes via different modes of learning i.e. prime and pro
- Networking is an important aspect of MBA and the program also provides access to the alumni portal of NMIMS
- Students get a chance to learn from the experienced faculties of the NMIMS main campus and the degree received is directly from the NMIMS campus.
2. IMT-Centre for Distance Learning Ghaziabad
Institute of Management Technology (IMT) is one of the prestigious institutes in the country that offer distance MBA courses under its Center for Distance Learning (IMT CDL). It has over three decades of expertise in conducting management and education programs.
- The distance learning programs of IMT CDL are approved by the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE)
- With more than 30,000 alumni across the globe, students of distance learning get a chance to expand their network with the alumni portal.
- The post graduate diploma certification is provided from IMT-CDL
- The program provides intensive online learning sessions, live interactive lectures, and a video library of recorded lectures of eminent faculty.
- State of the art infrastructure with industry-ready curriculum and students can learn from highly experienced faculty.
3. Welingkar Institute of Management
Welingkar Institute of Management Development (WeSchool) based in Mumbai is another top school for distance MBA which is approved by AICTE. As per the NIRF ranking of 2020, the institute is among the top 50 B-schools of India.
- It provides 18 hybrid PGDM programs which include 24 month PG and 6 month s certificate program in different field of management
- The institute has launched different modes of imparting education including virtual classroom sessions, video lectures, personal contact programs, and online video libraries as well.
- The distance MBA in hybrid format aims at experiential learning, collaborative learning, through interactive workshops, industrial visits, business simulation
4. Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
It is a well-reputed open university with a large number of student enrolments. Starting in 1987, the IGNOU school of management studies offers 9 programs in management and 13 programs in commerce.
- The program follows a multimedia approach of delivery which includes self-learning printed course material, audio-video programs, and face to face interaction with academic counselors at the study centers
- To be eligible for the course, students should be a graduate with at least 50% marks for the general category and 45% for the reserved category. Candidates should also clear the OPENMAT exam conducted by IGNOU, to be eligible for the course.
- The program is designed in a modular format offering maximum flexibility and multiple exit points. It also provides multiple specialization options.
- The minimum duration to complete the course is 2.5 years also the passing ratio is not very good.
5. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL)
Symbiosis is a well-known institute that provides a distance learning program through its Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) in various fields of management studies.
- It is an autonomous stand-alone institute approved by AICTE that offers distance learning programs.
- The mode of teaching includes contemporary delivery styles with a combination of printed study books, online classroom learning, e-learning, e-mentoring, and faculty interaction.
- The faculties of the program are from SCDL course is not at par with the Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM)
6. ICFAI University
The Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India (ICFAI) Foundation for Higher Education, Hyderabad has been a pioneer for over 30 years in higher education programs. It provides an online MBA program through its Center for Distance and Online Education (CDOE)
- ICFAI Group has a large team faculty pool coming from a diverse field of academic, industry, consulting, and research.
- It is declared as a Deemed-to-be university and recognized by UGC
- The university has achieved the NAAC Accreditation ‘A+’ Grade with a CGPA of 3.43
- The mode of learning is through recorded videos, webinars, workbooks, and projects.
- ICFAI provides students with the choice of any elective or combination of electives offered from any area for better program outcomes.
- The entire distance MBA program is based on a self-study and examination model with a convenient and flexible schedule for exams
7. Amity University
Amity has been established by an act of State Legislature and recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC). It is one of the reputed institutions for a distance MBA program.
- The distance learning program is offered in different specialization and regulated by the Amity Directorate of Distance and Online Education (ADDOE)
- It has received accreditations from UGC, AICTE, and grade ‘A’ status from NAAC.
- Students can avail themselves of live classes from international faculties and career opportunities at virtual job fairs.
8. Annamalai University
Based in Tamil Nadu, Annamalai University is one of the oldest and most reputed universities which offers several specialization courses to its students under its Directorate of Distance Education which are crafted to meet industry standards. The university has been accredited with grade ‘A’ status by NAA
9. Sikkim Manipal University- Distance Education (SMU-DE)
It is among the oldest universities to offer distance learning programs in India. The SMU-DE distance education Master of Business Administration (MBA) course is a two-year degree course that offers 4 MBA specializations which are marketing, finance, human resource management, and information systems. The minimum duration to complete the course is 2 years and the maximum is 4 years. It is accredited by NAAC.
- The mode of learning is through self-learning material, 24/7 access to webinars, online classes, and counselors, ensuring that students get instant support whenever needed.
- The necessary eligibility criteria are 10+2 and graduation in any field. Apart from this, students have to clear the entrance test conducted by the University for Admission.
10. Lovely Professional University
Lovely Professional University is a UGC approved university located in Punjab and offers both regular and distance education courses. The distance MBA program is one of the top-ranked degree courses in the field of business management. LPU offers flexible learning and one on one faculty interaction as well. The minimum duration to complete the program is 2 years and the maximum is 4 years. Admissions to the course are done based on management entrance exams such as CAT, NMAT, GMAT, etc along with graduation percentage.
|Sr. No.||Institute for Distance MBA||Government approval||Name of the program||Duration of the program||Learning Mode||Cost of the program (INR)||Job assistance||Alumni portal|
|1||NMIMS||UGC, UGC-DEB, AICTE||MBA (Distance)||2 years||Online+ recorded classes||120,000||Yes||Yes|
|2||IMTCDL||AICTE||PGDM||2 year||Online + recorded sessions||1,35,000||No||Yes|
|3||Welingkar||AICTE||Hybrid PGDM||2 Year||Online +recorded lectures||81,000||No||yes|
|4||IGNOU||UGC, UGC-DEB||MBA||2 to 5 years||Recorded classes||37800||No||No|
|5||Symbiosis center for Distance Learning||AICTE||PGDM||2 year||Online +recorded||50,000||No||No|
|6||ICFAI||UGC||MBA||2 years||Recorded lectures||200,000||No||Yes|
|7||Amity University||UGC, UGC-DEB, AICTE||MBA||2 years||Recorded||151,800||No||No|
|8||AnnaMalai||AICTE, UGC||MBA||2 year||Recorded lectures||40,000||No||No|
|9||Sikkim Manipal University||UGC||MBA||2 year||recorded||21,250||No||No|
|10||Lovely Professional University||UGC||MBA||2 to 4 year||recorded||50,000||No||No|
For working professionals and MBA aspirants who want to up-skill themselves and climb the corporate ladder, pursuing a management course from the best distance learning MBA institutes is a good option. It will provide necessary skills and holistic development while allowing one to continue the job and without the burden of an education loan.